Monday, December 29, 2008

16 just held such better days.

Having grown up in Detroit, I have a misplaced affection for Detroit Lions football.  By no means would I call myself a die-hard fan, for I have already "died" quite easily.  But still I follow the team, watch them when I can, and can't seem to work my self into a state of apathy.

The Lions have just completed a winless season, going 0-16 and becoming the first NFL team to do so.  0-16: A perfect season.  Honestly, I'm glad they did it.  This team has been trying to go winless for several seasons now, and I'm happy to see that they finally accomplished their goal.

I got to see the final game of the season while I was home for Christmas.  I was impressed.  To have a perfect season, it's not just talent that accomplishes it.  You have to do "the little things" as well.  And the Lions did the little things that need to be done to lose this game.  As they were driving with a chance to kick a field goal to go within one score of tying the game, Lions running back Kevin Smith committed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that resulted in a long third down situation and, additionally, pushed the Lions out of field goal range.  That's the kind of thing you can't coach: just as you can't teach speed, you can't teach suck.

Losing sixteen games is too small of a goal for the Lions.  I propose that if another team ever goes 0-16 again, that the NFL let them into the playoffs as the lowest seed in the conference, with a caveat: by rule they cannot win the Super Bowl.  The moment they win, that team's season is over.  See how many they can lose before calling it a season.  "Win AND go home."  Surely this Lions team has at least two more losses in them.  Plus they have to have a goal to shoot for next year.

So here's to you 2008 Detroit Lions.  Like the current economic downturn due to the auto industry, inept management and leadership has been unable to see the awful inevitability even though it's been forseeable for several years.

1 comment:

Ozimus Maximus said...

Simply amazing. I thought the NFL granted every team one free win just for signing their name, like the SATs. This is truly an accomplishment to be proud of. By the way, I'm starting to wonder about Detroit as a whole. The auto industry, stellar achievements in football, even my old school Motown records are starting to sound crappier. And Eminem's 'Eight Mile' just isn't the same moving, heart-felt movie it used to be. I think I need a bailout.

~Billy